Magnesium mineral supplements may help alleviate anxiety, while also promoting healthy nerve, heart, muscle, and immune system function. Also, the irritability, twitches, and cramps that come with detoxing may be improved by magnesium. Supplementing the diet with magnesium supplements is recommended for any treatment plan made for recovering addicts. Also help support liver health vitamins for recovering alcoholics and may reduce cravings for alcohol. Another benefit of taking B vitamins is that they have cleansing properties and can remove toxins produced by detoxification. In theory, all you have to do is stop depleting the nutrients and replace the lost ones. However, as detoxification is an ongoing process, you can’t just snap a finger and stop the nutrients from getting depleted.
- Take our short alcohol quiz to learn where you fall on the drinking spectrum and if you might benefit from quitting or cutting back on alcohol.
- Eggs and dairy products are excellent sources as well, and there are also plant-based sources of protein such as quinoa, tofu, beans, and seeds.
- Vitamins are crucial in recovery as they help with overall health.
- Patient care and engagement are always top notch, and I know that I can always trust that the patient and their families will be in the best position to recover.
- Recovering alcoholics should also see a health professional to determine whether they have long-term damage.
These natural chemicals are needed for focus, awareness, recollection and a happy, steady state of mind. LivaTone is an organic liver conditioner containing the liver herbs Milk Thistle, Globe Artichoke and Dandelion, blended with the amino acid Taurine, and Lecithin.
The Addiction Blog
Light therapy to supplement the loss of vitamin D among those with depressive disorders. Typically, light therapy is combined with initial treatments for seasonal and non-seasonal depression. NAC helps the body produce more glutathione which is often depleted after years of drinking alcohol heavily. Taking NAC can significantly reduce anxiety, a common symptom of alcohol withdrawal. Heavy drinkers that have liver damage may also benefit from NAC as it assists liver function. Deficiencies in Vitamin B can lead to low energy and fatigue and the development of Wernicke’s encephalopathy. During the detox process, the taking of Vitamin B supplements, in addition to Folic Acid, may help to improve energy and aid the healing process.
Contact The Recovery Village Palm Beach at Baptist Health to speak with a representative about how professional addiction treatment can help. During withdrawal from alcohol, low levels of zinc may contribute to the possibility of a seizure occurring. Therefore, zinc replenishment may be a logical treatment approach during detox. Begin taking some basic vitamins and supplements from which everyone in early recovery can benefit for at least 3-12 months, with a few essential ones for the rest of their lives. This spring has offered millions of people a season of slow time. With shelter-in-place orders keeping us at home all over the world, some of us have had more time than ever to reflect deeply about where we are and where we want to be.
- It’s very easy to get hooked on alcohol, but getting sober is an entirely different matter.
- Vitamins can contribute toward proper metabolism, blood sugar, skin/wound healing, hormone regulation, DNA/RNA, bone health, plus enzyme function.
- I didn’t start by buying every vitamin on the shelf and taking everything; instead I began to research alcohol withdrawal supplements.
- Dark, leafy greens contain magnesium, calcium, and B vitamins as well.
- There is no better time than now to start your recovery plan and get on the road to better health and a longer, happier life.
This is why vitamins for addiction recovery are imperative to getting yourself healthy again. 50% of people who are dependent on alcohol will experience withdrawal symptoms upon stopping alcohol or reducing their intake. My own bio-repair process involved a three-month intensive period of supplementation, nutrients from A to Z in therapeutic doses recommended by the doctors whose work I’ve studied. Immediately, I noticed changes in sleep, mood, skin, digestion, energy, and cravings–a complete release from the slog of recovery I have maintained to this day. This is the same program I use with my clients, who report the same results. This stage is very difficult for those suffering from substance abuse, and sometimes the withdrawal symptoms can be so great that individuals don’t recover successfully.
Can You Take Too Much Vitamin B6 & Vitamin B12?
Once you are past that point and healing, you’ll want to add plenty of lean protein along with a good multivitamin to give your brain and body the tools to rebuild and become strong again. When drugs create the same feel-good reflex as the chemicals in your brain, you get overloaded. To https://ecosoberhouse.com/ compensate, your brain produces fewer of these important chemicals. This is the reason you go through withdrawals when you quit opiates – your brain chemicals are no longer balanced. Using vitamins and supplements can help get you through the process of healing from opiate addiction.
- Cannabidiol, or CBD, is a compound that naturally occurs in the cannabis plant.
- They may also experience vitamin deficiencies, as alcohol impairs the body’s ability to absorb vitamins and nutrients.
- Some studies also show that chronic alcohol intake can affect the gut and lead to digestive problems.
- Do not use alcohol at all if you have liver disease, urinary problems, prostate trouble, ulcers or other problems of the upper digestive tract , or any nervous or mental disease.
- If you’re currently drinking, trying to cut back, or in recovery, taking calcium supplements is another great way to protect your overall health.